From: Steinar Bang (sb_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-05-31 08:55:14

> After all these years I am quite sure that the best portable
> extension is .hpp. Note that .h and .H are the same on OSs that are
> case-insensitive. In addition, some PC products require .hpp. And,
> of course, we should NEVER use .h or no extension because you can't
> find and handle those files in operation systems. You might argue
> that this is their fault but as we need a portable extension anyway
> in pratice .hpp seems to be widely used and the best.

I don't know how relevant this is, but I did a survey some years ago
about what file name extensions people were using for C++ code, and
the results are here:
        http://www.metis.no/private/sb/cppsurvey.html
(note. The Deja News article URL no longer works and I was unable to
find matches for myself older than 1997 on comp.lang.c++.moderated)

(the result of this survey was that I would have to bite the bullet
and accept a transition from .cc to the *hated* .cpp extension...:-/ )

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/boost