From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-07-02 13:10:12

At 11:16 PM 7/1/99 +0200, Dietmar Kuehl wrote:

>The more interesting part in this is, how to exactly handle platform
>specific stuff? Macros come to mind but isn't there something
better?
>I can imagine that eg. templates could also be used and might be
more
>convenient. A general approach for this would a great contribution,
>IMO.

I very much agree with Dietmar that this is an important issue for
boost.org. I don't know of any single general approach to dealing
with implementation variations. It seems to me there are several
approaches, none perfect, but each useful at least some of the time:

   * A single general "pretty good" implementation.
   * (Gasp!) Macros.
   * Separate implementations; install only your favorite.
   * Template specialization, traits, and related techniques.
   * Others?

I am writing a policy paper trying to identify when it is appropriate
or not appropriate to use each of these techniques.

--Beman

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/boost