From: Reid Sweatman (reids_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-07-13 12:51:56

As someone who's force to use one of the most broken compilers on the
market, I feel I have to protest. While the way the SGI STL did it is
hardly ideal, at least it did give me a very easy piece of documentation for
seeing exactly *which* pieces of the STL my compiler would support, and
which it would work around. I've no objection to doing this sort of thing
another way, but do it it must! It's fine to sit in an Ivory Tower (maybe
not so politically correct as it once was <g>), but when you have to work
with one of those broken compilers, and furthermore, the one with the
biggest market share, you have to be able to *work*.

I'd ask for suggestions at this point on exactly *how* to do it, rather than
rejecting out-of-hand doing it at all. And I'd offer a suggestion of my
own, if I had one, but this time the old clue bag's empty.