From: Reid Sweatman (reids_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-08-19 18:32:40

> My "moral equivalent" I meant that given a standard allocator
> if you follow
> out through all the typedefs you will hit a T*, on which all
> the indexing
> tricks will work. The standard does not yet require that,
> but I believe we
> are going to fix that.

That would be good. Wouldn't it be easier, though, for a special case like
an array container (as opposed to a vector container) to just add a member
function to the iterator that would return a raw pointer to the internal
representation? For usage in C++ algorithms, you could certainly define
interators to do random access as though the array were multidimensional,
but you couldn't hand them over to an assembler routine.