From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-12-22 15:16:31

At 10:05 AM 12/22/99 -0000, Moore, Paul wrote:

>It looks to me like there is no even remotely obvious way of writing
this
>stuff so that it works correctly in all cases. I would be interested
in
>getting the committee's comments on how all of this was meant to
work. [Even
>if the comment was just "oops" :-)] Is there a way of formally
requesting a
>rationale-style "how do I get this to work" comment? If so, I'd be
willing
>to write up the scenario.

Under ISO rules, I am told that requests for interpretation are
treated just like defect reports.

First step is to write up the scenario. Its best if it can be boiled
down to some obviously useful user program that there is no obvious
way to make work. You can first either post it on comp.std.c++, or
send it to me for posting on the standard committee's private mailing
list. If that doesn't produce an answer, then it can be escalated to
a defect report.

--Beman