From: Ed Brey (brey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-01-04 16:21:44

From: "Nicolai Josuttis" <nicolai.josuttis_at_[hidden]>
> > Second, comments are often carefully formatted under the assumption
> > that a mono-space font will be used. Use of Arial,Helvetica screws
> > up this assumption, resulting in less than optimal display.
> >
> Are you sure?
> I like this style a lot because it looks really different
> and it takes less space than mono-spaced font.
> How think the others about it?
> What should be default?

I really like proportionally spaced fonts. The screen space savings is
great. The trade-off is that it is close to impossible to reliably align
anything. Fortunately, syntax highlighting generally eliminates the need
for aligningment.

The best bet is probably to parameterize the awk script (perhaps with a
comment in the file header) to specify whether to use mono or proportional
fonts, that way code that is designed to be aligned gets aligned, and code
that isn't gets the advantage of proportional fonts.