From: Martin Schürch (mschuerch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-01-04 17:50:19

Hi

I'm following silently the boost mailing list since a couple of days and I like the
idea off code as free as boost code.

Since a couple of months I'm playing with the idea to write a free simple matrix
library. I know that there are
many around already, but I didn't find one which fulfills the following
characteristics:

1) free also for commercial projects (e.g. MTL I think does not fulfill that)
2) available also for VC (e.g. not for blitz)
3) easy to use
4) fast but does not have to be as fast as e.g. MTL or Blitz

My ideas:
1) based on valarray,... and slice, gslice -> std-implementors have to write the
optimized low-level code
2) RowMajor and ColumnMajor mode chooseable at compile time via a trait class
3) LU and SVD decomposition classes
4) a set of relating functions e.g det, trace, product, solve
5) perhaps using some BLAS routines

-> similar to Rogue Waves math++ but with concret classes

The user in mind would be people who need a simple and stable matrix class for
average
numerical tasks. I think there are a lot of them.

Are there any ultimate libraries I missed?
Is this outside the direction of boost?

Please comment!