From: Ed Brey (brey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-01-12 17:21:52

From: "Kevlin Henney" <Kevlin.Henney_at_[hidden]>
> >The problem with "Dispenser" is that the common definition only has
> >the notion of removing, not also adding.
>
> A matter of perspective: in line with the definition I've seen in
practice,
> a dispenser is something to which items can be both added and removed. As
> an example, earlier I was unable to get a drink because the drinks
> dispenser was being refilled!

This is a good example of why "dispenser" has a connotation of removing.
Many dispensers are devices from which normal people like us tend to only do
removing, but the insertion is typically only done by the mythical "they".
e.g. "Drat! They haven't refilled the Coke dispenser yet."

In our case adding and removing are level with each other, so the
connotation is confusion-causing baggage.

How about "receptacle"? Of course, it makes me thing of a garbage can, so I
connote only inserting and letting the mythical "they" dump it remove the
items the mythical real-world /dev/null. :-) Also, it's a bit long and hard
to spell/type.

So maybe "sack" or "pouch" would be nice. At this point, it seems pretty
arbitrary. I kind of like the sound of "pouch".