From: Reid Sweatman (borderland_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-02-23 14:57:56

I'm familiar with the Yarrow paper. Granted that it suggests restricted
algorithms for hashing; I was under the impression, though, that the
proposed Boost library was not intended for cryptographic purposes (correct
me if I'm wrong). In such a case, it would be a simple matter to substitute
something less hobbled by silly laws for the hash. In addition, the Boost
library could be used as a high-end shell, with the low-level algorithm of
choice inserted by the user, where something crypto-ish was required.

As for games, you might be surprised at what is commonly used. The last
commercial game I worked on used R250. The Mersenne Twister is the darling
of the gaming avant garde right now. One curious point about game PRNG's is
that you generally *want* them to be exactly repeatable, for implementing
things like simulation recorders, and so on. That means that Yarrow, or
anything else based on an entropy pool, or direct sampling of a
supposedly-random source, such as semiconductor junction noise, isn't of
much use in games.