From: Dave Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-03-03 00:11:24

on 2/29/00 5:08 PM, scleary_at_[hidden] at scleary_at_[hidden] wrote:

> BTW, what is the proposed purpose of 'pool'? Just a garbage collector?

1. garbage collector
2. Saves on space overhead for dynamic allocation (size labels, internal
fragmentation)
3. Should be faster than almost any variable-size allocator

Steve,
I will have a closer look at your work before Monday. On first inspection,
it is very impressive. I'm a little curious about the
function-object-constructor approach. While perfectly general, it seems a
lot less convenient than the family-of-template-functions strategy. Maybe it
would be best if both were available.

-Dave

[
I'm very glad to see that so much activity on the subject of pool allocators
has gone on in my absence (sorry, my life just got suddenly crazier than
usual for a while)!
]