From: Borgerding, Mark A. (MarkAB_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-03-03 09:04:47

I'm not sure I understand why shared_ptr alone is not sufficient for your
purposes.

auto_ptr and shared_ptr are different animals altogether. The auto_ptr
class has a strict pass-the-baton method of ownership behavior. Only one
auto_ptr can have access to a pointer at once.
The shared_ptr class, since it uses a shared reference count, allows
multiple objects to "own" a pointer at once. The reference count is
incremented on assignment and copy construction, and decremented on
destruction and reassignment. When the reference count hits 0, there are no
more references and the resource can be deleted.

If you still think you need to be able to convert a shared_ptr to auto_ptr,
you should check out the previous discussions about release on boost. In
the end, there seemed to be consensus on defining the behavior of release as
a reset(0) without delete, returning 0 if unique() returned false. This
limited definition provided the release functionality in most cases it would
be needed, but without leaving dangling shared_ptrs around.

For better definition of this behavior, see
http://www.egroups.com/group/boost/2128.html?

There are two ways to assign a shared_ptr to a new value,
reset and operator=(const shared_ptr &).
Looks like you've used the first, here's the second.

shared_ptr<int> sp(new int(42));

sp = new int(7); // illegal, shared_ptr has explicit constructor
sp = shared_ptr<int>(new int(7)); // OK