From: Greg Colvin (gcolvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-03-11 14:59:43

To add my two cents worth, in 1988 and 1989 I wrote a database
library that stored binary data on CD-ROM in big-endian format
and loaded it on Intel, VAX, Sun, Apollo, and Macintosh machines.
I used the same fetch-byte-and-shift trick that Darin describes
with happy results. Ten years later no one has found cause to
create platform-specific macros to improve performance.