From: Jens Maurer (jmaurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-04-28 15:42:06

Beman Dawes wrote:

> At 10:26 AM 4/28/00 +0100, Paul Baxter wrote:
>
> >Like I say I think the information would be extremely useful for potential
> >boost submissions particularly if the workarounds or list discussions are
> >referenced for anyone wishing to follow up.
[...]
> Good point. By placing the page (and any similar pages others
> contribute regarding other compilers) in the context of writing
> libraries for boost we will hopefully avoid dilution.

That was the intent of the bug list: Nowadays nearly everybody
knows that MSVC doesn't do partial specialization, so if you
employ any partial specializations, you are certain your code
won't compile on MSVC. BCC seems to be a bit less common,
so its bugs a not widely known. However, the pitfalls can often
be avoided by relatively easy (though non-obvious) work-arounds.

I support putting a reference to mine and similar pages in the
"Design and Programming" section of the "Boost Library Guidelines"
page, probably close to the "portable code" paragraph. This should
put things into perspective.

Jens Maurer.