From: Bill Klein (bill_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-05-20 08:08:55

John,

>Just to point out that the following snippet is not thread safe -
>this may or may not be a problem - see the recent discussion on
>comp.lang.c++.moderated (I think it was "thread safe singleton").

You might also want to check out the article on this
topic by Jonathan Ringle from CUJ:

   http://www.cuj.com/archive/1710/feature.html

If you download the source code for that issue:

   ftp://ftp.cuj.com/pub/1999/cujoct99.zip

you'll find his full implementation which is both thread
safe and also has guaranteed destruction (which is very
important! see the other singleton article in that issue
for more info on this). I've been using this implementation
for some time with no problems. The only issue is that I
think (?) it's win32-only due to the synchronizations bits.

-Bill Klein <bill_at_[hidden]>