From: Dave Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-05-27 08:21:48

on 5/26/00 5:00 PM, Jens Maurer at jmaurer_at_[hidden] wrote:

> At the start of the year 2000, there was a suggestion
> for a stream_cast.
>
> I have now extensively used the concept (more precisely, a
> re-implementation of the concept) in some software which needs
> to do some partially structured text I/O. I would like to
> second Steve Cleary's idea to have an exception-throwing
> variant of stream_cast (naming suggestion: stream_cast_ex)
> so that conversion errors are not silently ignored.
>
> stream_cast is really useful.

I think it's a really ingenious idea, but haven't yet found myself wanting
to use it. Would you mind describing how you've used it in more detail? I
would appreciate seeing the motivation.

> Can we please have it officially added?

I think we need to have a version submitted that at least one person has
found useful, and we need to have at least one person review that version
before we can do that.

Why don't you submit your throwing version of stream_cast? If we can find a
review volunteer, with luck we can make the official addition.

-Dave