From: Howard Hinnant (hinnant_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-16 11:35:01

David Abrahams wrote on 7/16/2000 11:29 AM
>From: "Beman Dawes" <beman_at_[hidden]>
>
>> Should boost programming guidelines ban exception-specifications?
>
>Yes, without specific compiler switches which turn them on when it's been
>determined that it is an optimization.
>But I am absolutely *certain* that we've discussed this on the list and that
>there was (at least) a published web page which said they should be avoided.
>I think it was the library guidelines. I am also pretty sure that the
>discussion was specifically in reference to smart_ptr and that we had
>decided to leave them off on purpose. So I'm surprised to hear that they
>crept back in.

No I don't think they should be banned. Though I will admit that I would
vote against they're use in every project I'm currently familiar with.
But I think they should be considered on a case by case basis, and not
banned with a blanket statement. They provide a runtime behavior that
could be desirable in some circumstances.

-Howard