From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-24 20:51:32

Jeremy wrote:

>Isn't branching the solution to this problem?

Oh damn. I just 5 minutes ago created a pre-release directory as Dave
suggested. Are you saying there is a way to add files, directories, etc,
as branches that could be ignored for releases until they were approved? I
had understood branches were a tool for development work on existing files,
but hadn't realized the concept applied on a larger scale.

>Also, we should have a convention for tag names for
>boost releases/branches/etc.
>
>For the main line, how about:
> boost-1-16-1 (for the current release 1.16.1)

I used "release_1_16_1" for the initial tag. Is that OK? I started to use
boost_1_16_1 but then realized everything in the repository is boost this
or that, so thought "release" was more indicative.

>For branches, how about use the name of the new library:
> iterator-adaptors
> pattern-matching
>
>This also has the advantage that changes needed to common
>files like config.hpp can be made and the revision history
>will be appropriately recorded.

Thanks. I'll try to do some more reading.

--Beman