From: Reid Sweatman (borderland_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-31 12:30:50

If you want to see some proof of your proposition, check out the last issue
of Schneier's CryptoGram, which contains a link to an article by a group of
Polish programmers who wrote an article called "What if Smart People Wrote
Viruses," or something like that. They supply enough source to make their
claims plausible. If they're indeed right, I sure hope no one ever releases
something like that into the wild. Funny thing was, this was right after
the Phillipine virus hit, and I'd just that morning had the thought that,
"Hell, any real programmer could do light years better than that," and
immediately thought of two things that could be added to the Phillipine
virus to really make it nasty, namely, self-modification and
self-relocation. I tend to believe the Polish authors because they
implemented those two, and went on to a couple of other tweaks I hadn't
thought of. For instance, their version worked cross-platform (which
required them to go outside of simple scripting languages to some extent; I
was just thinking of VB), and invoked a floating network registry server to
communicate about machines they'd discovered but couldn't personally infect.
Nasty stuff.

So, yeah, I agree with you totally. If you don't already have the link, you
can find it at www.counterpane.com.

Reid Sweatman