From: Valentin Bonnard (Bonnard.V_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-31 13:08:17

Peter Dimov wrote:

> I think that both problems can't be solved in the general
> case, even with an is_polymorphic predicate, but the cases
> where the solutions don't work can be considered 'rare.'

Indeed, if dynamic_cast can't do something, what make you
think you would be able to do better ?

> The real solution to this is to modify dynamic_cast to work on
> non-polymorphic types as well (when inside a template.)

Do you seriously think that when some function can't
compute its result it should just randomly return
some value (which happens to be often correct), or
that the function should report an error ?

--
Valentin Bonnard