From: Branko Èibej (branko.cibej_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-11 06:22:09

Dietmar Kuehl wrote:
> My understanding is that Greg says we don't need the primitives at all!
> Monitors are sufficient and the better tool: The primitives are error
> prone but people will use them if they are there. Thus, we should drop
> them in favour of the better tool improving overall code quality. I
> think this is a reasonable approach!

There's a good discussion of monitors in Advanced Programming
Language Design by Raphael A. Finkel (ISBN 0-8053-1121-2; there's
an online edition too, I believe).

The upshot is that although monitors avoid the problems of
the more primitive structures, they have serious problems
of their own (e.g., in the presence of nested monitor calls).

    Brane

--
Branko Èibej                 <branko.cibej_at_[hidden]>
HERMES SoftLab, Litijska 51, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia