From: William Kempf (sirwillard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-11 17:53:25

--- In boost_at_[hidden], "Reid Sweatman" <borderland_at_u...> wrote:
> [...]

No matter what school of thought you follow there may be a valid
reason to throw an exception here. I'm still on the fence, but I'll
illustrate why an exception may be appropriate:

void foo::bar()
{
   mutex::trylock lock(mx);
   // We forget to check if we locked and proceed to access
   // shared resources here!
}

Using an exception will make a lot of code harder to deal with,
especially since failing to lock isn't really an exceptional
condition here, but not using an exception could lead to disaster.

The only good thing is that it shouldn't be too likely that someone
would fail to check the lock here, since they used a trylock instead
of a simple lock.