From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-19 09:35:58

David Abrahams wrote:

>From: "Karl Nelson" <kenelson_at_[hidden]>
>
>> I have implemented a first cut at such a manipulator. It still
>> has a number of issues both in implementation and form which
>> would prevent it from being included in boost at this time. However,
>> I would like to get some comments reviewing it so that the final
>> implementation is acceptable. It is fairly heavily documented
>> with design notes describing defects and functionality. Assuming
>> that it is of interest to boost and reviews give enough information
>> on how to get the class in shape, I can polish the class for
>> inclusion.
>
>I believe that we already have a submission which is intended to cover
this
>territory at http://www.egroups.com/files/boost/format/, by Rudiger Loos.
>There are still a few issues with this code which haven't been resolved.
In
>particular, The constructor arguments to basic_format need to be passed
>by-reference instead of by-value so that non-copyable classes can be
>formatted. Mr. Loos did most of his work many months ago, but at the time
>his design met with the general agreement of all the interested boosters.

>If
>any advantages to your design could be merged with the work already done
>here, that would be ideal.

A key goal of initiating the formal review process was to move more
submissions more quickly from "proposed" to "accepted" status. It seems to
be working, IMO.

There are a lot of submissions in http://www.egroups.com/files/boost which
are "almost" ready for review. Hopefully the fact that our formal review
process is now in place and working will act as an incentive to authors to
do that last 5% and request a review:-)

--Beman