From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-21 18:44:10

I heard that C has a "sig_atomic_t" type that is supposed to have a
guaranteed atomic assignment in the face of signals (with C's signal
function). This lets a signal function communicate information to the main
program. I don't know too much about threading, but maybe the C signal
stuff can be the basis of the C++ treading stuff. Or at least, the C stuff
could be the default implementation for systems that don't have pthreads or
Win32-threads or whatever cool threading systems most of you guys have. (If
the C signal version is good enough, we wouldn't have to make pthread- or
Win32-specific versions of Boost threads.)