From: Steinar Bang (sb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-09-17 14:02:38

> Neither of these are good solutions at this time in gcc/Unix world.
> There are other STL implementations that you can drop in but the STL
> the majority of users have is totally defective. This is temporary
> in that gcc within the next year will have charT streams. (or at
> least that is my current understanding.)

gcc 3.0 when released will have one of the most standards compliant
C++ compilers to date, with one of the more standards compliant
standard C++ libraries:
        http://sourceware.cygnus.com/libstdc++/

(Of course when gcc 3.0 is relased is not yet clear, and in addition it
will probably be 3.1 or 3.2 (or 3.0.1, or 3.0.2, or whatever) until it
is usable for production use.)