From: John Maddock (John_Maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-09-30 07:22:17

>We have enjoyed some success applying these techniques to a
>larger STL-style generic container library.

Looks like someone else has been experimenting with this, I've been trying
to improve the quality of type-traits support for VC6, with the hope of
getting call_traits working properly, or at least able to solve the
reference to reference problem with VC6 (see also Dave's recent post).

Unfortunately, is_pointer is the only type-traits template I've been able
to get working more or less correctly with this technique. Attempting to
use the same technique with is_array, is_member_pointer, is_same, and
is_reference all fail: either because the language doesn't allow it, or
more often, internal compiler errors, or downright incorrect function
overload resolution.

If there are any cunning artificers out there that can extend this to any
of the templates mentioned (especially is_reference), I would be very happy
to hear about it!

- John.