From: Lois Goldthwaite (loisg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-10-06 12:02:08

I will second the accolade for Borland C++, which was out much
earlier[1] than Microsoft's, and was always much better. You may
remember that the original Stepanov/Lee 1994 STL was developed using
Borland 4.5. This was at a time when VC++ was just barely starting to
recognize templates.[2]

VC++ didn't begin to catch up until Borland fell on hard times [3] and
laid off or antagonized its compiler developers into a mass exodus.

Lois

[1] And before Borland's came out, there was Zortech C++, and even
before that was Glockenspiel's, though I never used that one.

[2] IIRC Borland 3.1 (!) had a fair bit of support for templates.

[3] IMHO the problem there was that Borland got so carried away with
challenging Microsoft and Lotus and Ashton Tate -- all at once -- in the
corporate market that they abandoned the individual developers and
price- and quality-conscious software shops that were the backbone of
their market. So I'm inclined to think that Borland threw away its
advantages through bad decisions, rather than putting all the blame on
Microsoft. Novell and Lotus are more examples of companies who should
have paid attention to what they did well instead of anti-Microsoft
activities.