From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-21 10:22:31

At 02:58 PM 11/20/2000 -0800, Matthew Austern wrote:

> (Aside: I think that some of the GNU people are doing
> experiments where the front end would recognize concept
> checking assertions and use them when generating error
> messages. Concept checking that straddles the library/
> compiler boundary might be a promising direction to go in.)

Yes, and as I pointed out in the context of BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT(), it isn't
just concept checking. There are several program correctness aids,
particularly those that happen at compile rather than run time, that
"straddle the library/compiler boundary" and could be much better done with
compiler support. But meanwhile, we do the best we can. Macros live on...

--Beman