From: William Kempf (sirwillard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-29 11:35:18

--- In boost_at_[hidden], Dan Nuffer <dnuffer_at_c...> wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
> > Yes, let's at least consider adding a boost_all.tar.gz. I'd like
to build
> > it with identical content to boost_all.zip. How complex a shell
script is
> > required? Can you point me to a Win32 version of a tar.gz
encoder that is
> > known to produce files maximally useful by unix/linux decoders?
I'd need
> > help from unix/linux users to test the resulting .tar.gz to make
sure it
> > does what it is supposed to do.
> >
> > --Beman
>
> I think the best tar you could get on Win32 is the actual GNU tar
and
> gzip, the win32 versions are available in the Cygwin package
available
> from http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
> Besides tar and gzip, you also get most of the standard unix
utilities,
> which makes using the command line on windows MUCH more enjoyable :-
)

Maybe more enjoyable for you ;).

Though these tools will work, I don't know if they are "the best".
They require the CYGWIN runtime (DLL) and as such are slow, in
comparison to native tools. The MinGW utilities are often better, in
this regard (http://mingw.sourceforge.net).

> The last time I used it was over a year ago, and it works great,
but the
> installation wasn't very automated. Maybe it's improved by now.

Installation of the CYGWIN environment is now totally automated
through a setup.exe which d/ls the selected components and installs
them for you. Other than speed complaints because of the POSIX
emulation done in cygwin.dll this does set you up with a complete(?)
POSIX environment on Win32. I'm not sure how easy it will be to just
pluck out the two utilities needed, however, so even with out the
concerns of cygwin.dll this may not be appropriate for this task.

Bill Kempf