From: John (EBo) David (ebo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-30 14:12:46

There has been a number of requests for code examples, snippets, and bug
reports...

Is it reasonable at this juncture, or even possible, to set up a
protocol for both examples and begin developing a set of regression
tests?

In the interests of such, I would like to throw out the following
suggestions:

Boost already uses:
  boost/boost/PROJ.hpp for released versions
  boost/boost/pending/PROJ.hpp for stuff in development
  boost/libs/PROJ for general code and

Several projects have begun to set up examples and test suits under the
libs sub directory, so following on that lead... If we developed a
program testing template and standard locations where they would go,
then we could first save people from having to write boilerplate, and
provide some standard interfaces. So, when I want to submit an example
to the group I can use the project template and stuff my example in,
etc...

  boost/libs/PROJ/tests/makefile to make building and automate
testing.
  boost/libs/PROJ/tests/notes for project notes, etc...
  boost/libs/PROJ/tests/todo project status, please for help,
etc.
  boost/libs/PROJ/tests/data/* test data

  boost/libs/PROJ/tests/tTest_tmpl.cpp test template
  boost/libs/PROJ/tests/tTest_tmpl.htm documentation template

  boost/libs/PROJ/tests/tWhat_it_does.cpp an example

  and the same for a boost/libs/PROJ/examples directory.

Some of my personal preferences are:
  *) executing a test program without arguments will run through the
full regression tests
  *) output from each regression test produces output in the form of "
check Bla_Woof: " followed by "(pass)" or "(fail) with error: ..."
  *) provide, when appropriate, a "-i" or "--interactive" switch to run
in interactive mode.

Just an idea...

Bye,

  EBo --