From: scleary_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-12-04 13:08:50

> IIRC it's an open issue whether the standard allocators are permitted to
> have state - their instances must compare equal.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to have "state" in the sense that the state may
change from allocations/deallocations. I meant to have any data at all.

I *think* (though I haven't been able to get a practical, usable example)
that Standard allocators may be based on a shared_ptr-like mechanism.

I tried getting a pool allocator to work on that idea, but the rebind member
would always kill me -- they were never practical after a rebind.

        -Steve