From: William Kempf (sirwillard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-07 12:21:16

--- In boost_at_[hidden], Asger Alstrup Nielsen <alstrup_at_s...> wrote:
> > Down the road I'd expect some people would find a need for
> > the larger concept, though it's definately geared towards GUI
> > applications and so may not be applicable to everyone's needs.
>
> As demonstrated in a recent thread, this larger concept allows a
clean
> and simple de-coupled implementation of the Observer design
pattern. So
> in as much as the Observer design pattern is a general pattern that
is
> useful outside GUI code, so is the larger concept.

Observer can be implemented with the smaller concept. It's the
lifetime management issues that cause a need for the larger concept.
These issues are (generally) more obvious with GUI systems. This
doesn't mean it's applicable only for GUIs. I didn't mean to convey
that.

> > Personally, I'd like to see both, but we at least need
> > the smaller version.
>
> Personally, I only need the larger version ;-)

Then you don't have a need for threads ;).

Bill Kempf