From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-07 15:10:24

Those in purgatory (what sin did I commit?),
translating algorithms from FORTRAN find it much easier to
have 1-based arrays.
(There is STILL a bottomless pit of working subroutines...!)

Translators produce dreadful code, but at least work correctly.
Hand conversion produces decent C++ code, but the base change
means that the process is very error-prone and I have finally
gone back to using the original algorithms and writing from scratch,
but checking output from test data against the original FORTRAN output.
This is a serious pain.

Neither zero or 1 based offset is sigificantly better,
but having two bases in use is very bad indeed.

Paul

Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria LA8 8AB UK
Phone, FAX & Voicemail +44 1539 561830