From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-28 15:17:17

At 01:13 PM 12/28/2000 -0500, Daryle Walker wrote:

>The main point I was making wasn't that socket-less platforms should be
>supported through third-party libraries, but that maybe Boost shouldn't
>have a platform-specific library like sockets at all. As you found out,
>sockets are not an universal concept.

While sockets are not universal, it is possible to specify a portable
socket interface which can be widely implemented via platform-specific
techniques.

Boost shouldn't be afraid of such libraries. If they are useful, meet the
other boost criteria, and can be implemented on both Unix and Windows, that
is enough, IMO.

--Beman