From: Joseph Berrios (jsberrios_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-02 22:04:03

Daryle,

thanks for your response and thoughts. To be honest with you I have
no idea how the streambuf works. I am currently looking for a
tutorial on the iostreams and specially the streambuf. Is there any
book or a gentle tutorial that explains the streambuf library and how
can it be used to extend it for a new type?

answering your questions:

> 1. What is binding? Is it required before accepting and/or
connecting?
> Does terminating a point affect binding? Can a re-bind or an un-
bind be done?

The bind command is used to let the application specify the local IP
address and local port, for both TCP and UDP. By doing so this
function assings a local protocol address to a socket. Usually this
command is used with the server socket.

If the socket terminating is a client, it will not affect the
binding. If the server terminates, then the address and port will be
free to be used by another program.

I don't know if re-bind or an unbind can be done. I checked my
references and couldn't find any answers.

>2. Can a socket simultaneously be a server (accept) and a client
(connect)?
> If so, can the two points be unrelated, or do they have to go to
the same
> remote location?

as the socket class is designed now, it does not support to use one
socket for both client and server. There is a command in the UNIX
API called socketpair that allows the same socket to be used by both
the client and the server.

My references are the following:

Title: Linux Socket programming by example