From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-03 11:31:27

At 03:49 PM 1/3/2001 +0000, William Kempf wrote:

>The Boost Thread Library (final name?) is very much a work in
>progress. Things slowed down in the last few months because of the
>holidays and other pressing matters, but I'll be stoking the fires
>again real soon.
>
>You comments about needing thread safety brings up a topic for
>discussion, however. Early in the development we talked about there
>being a need for synchronization primitives even before we include
>portable thread support. We're basically close enough now to focus
>on porting such primitives to various platforms and submitting an
>initial version of the library to Boost. My focus had moved on to
>TLS and thread support rather than on finishing the synchronization
>primitives, but maybe we should consider doing just this. Any
>thoughts from others on this?

Rather than waiting for a single perfect library, would it move things
along faster if you separated the architecture into two or three sections
(or levels, if that makes more sense), and then finalized a submission for
the most basic?

Aside from technical issues, that would give the impression of progress
with the attendant social engineering benefits.

--Beman