From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-03 13:51:00

--- In boost_at_[hidden], Prabhu Ramachandran <prabhu_at_c...> wrote:
> hi,

> Jeremy> I'm OK with a web-based forum for users as long as I can
> Jeremy> answer questions via email. At ND we use a web-based
thing
> Jeremy> (jitterbug) and I hate it because I have to use the web
> Jeremy> form to answer questions . I'd much rather answer
> Jeremy> questions via email, and have the emails show up on the
> Jeremy> web page.
>
> I agree with Jeremy. I find that it is a pain to follow a
discussion
> group when it is completely on the web. IMO what would be best is a
> mailing list whose messages are available to the general public via
> the web and which is open to posting by non-subscribers/members.
The
> archives should be searcheable by non-members. Decent spam proofing
> would be necessary. Any decent mailing list software should handle
> this. I dont know if this is possible with e-groups though.

The web site wasn't hosted by eGroups. It is now hosted by
www.interland.com, which allows us to run cgi scripts, etc. They
supply some, plus we can supply our own. So that isn't a
limitation. It is really just a case of deciding what we want to do.

While being searchable is nice, being viewable on the public site
(like STLport's forums) is really a nice feature.

--Beman