From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-08 09:57:39

At 12:21 PM 1/5/2001 -0500, Gregory Seidman wrote:

>Beman Dawes sez:
>} CVS allows multiple developers to be independently updating libraries.
>}
>} But how does the Boost webmaster know if the libraries are in a
consistent

>} state for a release?
>}
>} How do other CVS users deal with this problem?
>}
>} I guess the webmaster could post a notice of pending release a few days

>} beforehand. Maybe it is as simple as that.
>}
>} Ideas?
>
>CVS provides version tagging, such that one can identify a particular
>version as release1.9 or something. The project manager (i.e. you) sends
>out a message to the various subproject maintainers asking for a
consistent
>version of the code to be tagged with whatever tag within the next week
or
>something, then checks out (or exports) with the particular version tag.
>(Naturally, the subproject maintainers must cooperate in a timely manner,
>but that is the case for any project with multiple developers.)
>
>This allows the developers to continue to work beyond the stable version
>being tagged but provides a stable checkpoint for release. Look into the
>cvs docs for cvs tag.

Interesting, thanks.

We do already use version tagging, but I just apply the version tag to the
entire tree at the time of a release. Having some of the individual
developers do tagging for their portion of the sub-tree makes sense.

One of the implications, I think, is that it is somewhat easier for
subproject maintainers if their responsibilities are not spread out over
the directory structure.

--Beman