From: William Kempf (sirwillard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-08 10:18:09

--- In boost_at_[hidden], "Dejan Jelovic" <djelovic_at_s...> wrote:
> I have written a set of smart pointer classes that improve on the
ones
> provided by boost:
>
> http://www.jelovic.com/articles/cpp_without_memory_errors_slides.htm
>
> Now I would like to make these classes portable across
environments. To do
> that I need a semi-portable way to increment and decrement
reference counts
> in a thread-safe manner.
>
> Under Windows I use InterlockedIncrement and InterlockedDecrement.
But I see
> that boost uses simple ++ and -- even under Windows. Is that thread-
safe
> with the supported Windows compilers?

For now I'd suggest submitting things with out any regard to thread
issues. The Boost thread library will address thread synchronization
issues, and because the interest in this particular sub-area of the
library is becoming so hot, I plan to submit something to handle this
RSN (we've got the basis, I just need to polish a few corners and
provide an implementation for at least pthreads as currently I've
only implemented in Win32 threads).

Bill Kempf