From: Paul Selormey (paul_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-09 13:38:58

Hello,

> >I have tried compiling it using the makefile without success with
> >VC++ 6.0 sp4 on WinNT 4.0 sp6 and also with VS.NET beta 1.
> >I currently use the version 2.55, and wish to move to the current
> >version but the compilation attempts so far failed.
>
> I regularly test with VC6 so that shouldn't be a problem - what problems
> are you experiencing?

It seems I am getting some special situation here. I have gone back to the
version 2.55
and the same error messages came up. An internal compiler error, which reads

--------------------
cregex.cpp
E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include\xtree(174) : fatal
error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR
  (compiler file 'E:\8944\vc98\p2\src\P2\main.c', line 181)
 Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
 Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information

-----

posix_api.cpp
E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\MyProjects\RegEx\posix_api.cpp(48)
: fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR
  (compiler file 'E:\8944\vc98\p2\src\P2\main.c', line 181)
 Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
 Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information

-----

wide_posix_api.cpp
E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\MyProjects\RegEx\wide_posix_api.cpp(58) : fatal error C1001: INTERNAL
COMPILER ERROR
  (compiler file 'E:\8944\vc98\p2\src\P2\main.c', line 181)
 Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
 Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information

--------------------

What I really do not understand is why it happens only with the regular
expression library
when compiling in the "Release" mode. The "Debug" mode compiles without a
problem.
Also, the error occurs three times with only the following files

cregex.cpp
posix_api.cpp
wide_posix_api.cpp.

Finally, there is a preprocessor bug in your codes which makes the whole
makefile for VC++
a bit of a hack.
The use of the _DLL in "regex_config.hpp" and "regex_library_include.hpp" is
wrong.
_DLL is never defined for DLL compilation or project, it rather has the same
meaning as _MT.

Unfortunately, with the above problems I cannot provide my modifications to
these files
to allow the library to be compile as
1. DLL
2. Static library
3. Directly adding the sources to a project.

Best regards,
Paul.