From: Jens Maurer (Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-15 16:08:47

Beman Dawes wrote:
> Is use of <boost/cstdint.hpp> something we should encourage in our library
> guidelines? Seems to me we should.

Regarding intmax_t and uintmax_t, it seems safe to recommend its use for
cases where we need "the largest built-in integer type".

For the other types, I would rather not encourage too much dependence on
the number of bits some int has. Of course, if your algorithm really needs
it, go ahead: boost/cstdint.hpp is the best you can get. I just want to
make sure nobody thinks
  for(boost::uintmax_t i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
or somesuch is the current fashion for writing
  for(int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)

But Beman will surely find the appropriate words for the library guidelines.

Does boost/cstdint.hpp work on all our supported platforms?

Jens Maurer