From: Paul Moore (gustav_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-22 17:35:07

On 22 Jan 2001, at 16:44, Moore, Paul wrote:

> From: Peter Dimov [mailto:pdimov_at_[hidden]]
> > It's MSVC.
>
> Well, it's partly me. I should have realised that param_type would be
> non-deducible. On the other hand, replacing that with a simple IntType still
> gives the error. It looks like MSVC is deducing IntType from the first
> argument, and then complaining about the second, instead of having another
> go by deducing based on the second argument, and then applying conversions
> to make the first work.

This fails on gcc (mingw) and Borland C++ as well. Are all of these
broken?

> Isn't this a specific named behaviour (something about "partial ordering")?

No, the partial ordering things aren't quite what I mean. Blah. I
really dislike this side of things - trying to characterise exactly
what bit of behaviour in the standard I (am trying to) rely on.

> I bet there's a standard reference (I'll look when I get home). Looks like
> it's something else MSVC gets wrong. Maybe I'll pass it on to David
> Wolfram...

No, gcc 2.95.2 and Borland fail this one as well. There's more
going on here. No time to look into the details just now, I'll see
what I can find tomorrow.

Paul