From: Jens Maurer (Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-23 12:21:08

David Abrahams wrote:
> 1. Why am I forced to specify an output file if I'm just running one test?

The cs-XXX.html file gets overwritten by default if you don't specify
"-o" (or "--output"). When you're running just one test, overwriting
cs-XXX.html does not seem adequate, thus you're required to say where
you want the HTML output. Try "nul" or "/dev/null" to throw it away.

> In that case, the results at stdout are perfectly informative; I don't
> really need an .html result. Could we just skip it?

Difficult. All of regression.cpp depends on having a valid ostream,
and there is no "nullstream" or similar. And ofstream("/dev/null") is
not portable.

> 2. Trying to specify --config and --compiler seems to choke the test system
> on my machine:

Not reproducible on Linux:

./regression --config compiler.cfg --compiler como-strict --output /dev/null run libs/graph/test/graph.cpp
*** libs/graph/test/graph.cpp ***

** Comeau C++ 4.2.44 beta3 (strict mode)
como --strict_warnings -D__STRICT_ANSI__ -o boosttmp.exe -I.. ../libs/graph/test/graph.cpp

It looks like the last command line argument gets eaten at your system.
Is it possibly too long? Other than that, I cannot see any obvious problems.

Jens Maurer