From: Matt Austern (austern_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-25 13:49:14

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> I don't know which of Boost, Core or comp.std.c++ is more appropriate
> for this issue.

None of the above, in my opinion. The right place to talk about this
issue is the library reflector. Core has promised that, if the LWG
studies the issue and concludes that there is no acceptable library,
they will think about partial specialization of function templates.
That's fine; when it comes to adding major new template features, I
trust people like John Spicer a lot more than I trust myself.

> Anyway, it would probably be useful -- before
> restarting the thread -- to make an unbiased summary of all proposed
> solution...

Yes, a paper on this subject would be very useful. I don't know of any
promising solutions other than function template partial specialization
and overloads with namespace std.

                        --Matt