From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-25 14:06:28

From: "Gabriel Dos Reis" <Gabriel.Dos-Reis_at_[hidden]>

> Matt Austern <austern_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> | ... However, I also don't like any of the other solutions that have
> | been proposed. My impression of Core's position is that they are
reluctant
> | to make major core language changes like adding support for partial
> | specialization of functions.
>
> Feature like that need much more experience than we've now because it
> interacts in many aspects in an unusual way template argument
> deduction and overloading resolution used to. So I understand Core's
> reluctance.

I thought we had this sorted out. :-)

Partial specializations are not that different from explicit specializations
in their interaction with the argument deduction and overload resolution.

Nevertheless, I understand Core's reluctance, too. Somebody'll have to
actually implement the feature to prove the point, and I'm no compiler
writer.

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.