From: Jens Maurer (Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-28 17:16:54

Jason Dossett wrote:

> Dare I ask if anyone has tried to build any of the boost libraries
> under VS.NET beta?
>
> I started to try to build regex tonight and didn't get very far. I
> got an error right away with the compiler complaining about size_t
> not belonging to the std namespace. I'm guessing I may need to set
> some precompiler flags or something.

The first step is to find out the value of the _MSC_VER preprocessor
symbol. This seems to be defined to the version number of the C++
compiler. For example, MSVC6.0 has 1200 there, regardless of the
service pack applied.

After you know how to query the version number, you can start editing
boost/config.hpp. Look at the Borland C++ section how to reuse
BOOST_XXX flags for different compiler versions. Please document
the compiler version number in a short comment associating it
to the "common name", such as VS.NET or so. Please be optimistic
about future versions and always check for "_MSC_VER <= VERSION"
instead of unconditionally disabling standard-conforming code for
all past, current, and future compiler versions.

Jens Maurer