From: sirwillard_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-01-29 18:29:01

--- In boost_at_y..., Larry Evans <jcampbell3_at_p...> wrote:
> Alex Oren wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:06:57 -0600, Larry Evans wrote:
> >
> > } OOPS. Forgot the attachment. It's attached here.
> >
> > Larry, you got me intrigued but your email contained only the top-
level
> > document. Can you please send me the whole package? (preferably
> > compressed). Thank you!
> >

> OK, but it's still very rough.

I'm not totally certain what it is you're trying to do here.
However, I've recently had need for a GC smart pointer and so have
worked with Thant Tessman (the author of circ_ptr in the files
section here) to try and create a simple, effective and efficient
implementation. I started from his circ_ptr but made extensive
modifications to decrease compile time dependencies, increase
algorithm efficiencies, allow "pointers" to polymorphic types and
members, and to fix a few minor design flaws. I needed quick
feedback on the implementation so decided to post an article (became
two) on it at Code Project
(http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/garbage_collect.asp and
http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/garbage_collect2.asp). If interest in
a GC smart pointer becomes high enough, or after I finish the Boost
Thread Library, I will submit it formally to Boost. Until then,
anyone that's interested in this subject might want to check out the
articles, keeping in mind that the article and code (for now) are
VC++ specific.

Bill Kempf