From: Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-01-30 17:25:39

paris (U.E.), le 30/01/2001

        I do not feel that the following requirement is well suited to
numerical algorithms:

 ----- ******* -----
Test programs must report errors by returning a non-zero value. They
may also write to stdout or stderr, but that output should be
relatively brief. Regardless of other output, a non-zero return value
is the only way the regression test framework will recognize an error
has occurred.
 ----- ******* -----

        The problem, I believe, is that examination of the actual output,
in sufficient quantity, may be the only real way to assess the quality
of the algorithm, when combined with a specific processor/compiler/
libraries. Case in point: Motorola was said to have shipped at some
point a floating point library which was blazing fast for their
processor, but at the expense of precision (which was reported to be
catastrophic). This is a case where perhaps another method should be
used to compute the result we are interested in, for this conbination.

        Of course one could pre-compute the output and hard-code the
results...

        I guess this is not a case of failure versus success, but of
shades of success, so perhaps this kind of algorithms should not be
tested by the Boost regression test framework.

                Hubert Holin
                Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden]