From: LORIEN DUNN (l.dunn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-02-05 18:53:47

Thanks Dave,
        The member functions are returning non-const references to classes which are
in container members of the owning class. I'm developing a realtime
interactive music extension for python (for now Midi, and later audio). The
functions return things like a reference to a class representing a Midi out
port.

        I don't think I need your reference counting code as yet, because these
objects aren't very dynamic.

        I would have had a HELL of a time wrapping my code with swig, so thanks VERY
much.

Lorien Dunn

"David Abrahams" <abrahams_at_[hidden]> wrote:

To what is the reference referring? If it refers to an object owned by one
of the arguments to the function you're wrapping (including "this", if it's
a member function) I could give you a way to return the non-const reference
safely; it would work by managing a reference count on the owning object. I
have offered this to several people in the past, but demand has not been
great so far.

-Dave