From: Jens Maurer (Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-02-14 17:39:25

Daryle Walker wrote:
> Not everyone uses automated build tools. I think the main difficulty with
> spreading mandatory source around sub-library directories was that, if a lot
> of Boost libraries are needed, then you could have to put a lot of entries
> in a source search directory list.

I think that developers will mostly work on one sub-library only, thus the
automated build system would generate a .lib file with the relevant
sub-library's object files removed. You would then add the .lib file and
the single sub-library's src path under your IDE.

Yes, that adds another requirement for the automated build system. Possibly
we can just build the full .lib file and remove all object files matching
a given pathname or so.

> If we do this, should it be limited to headers and madatory source, or
> should we explode each aspect to a root-level directory?

The latter is what I don't like, thus I'd like to fight further distribution
right at the beginning: at the "src" directory.

Jens Maurer