From: jeff_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-02-15 21:24:07

> >I would like to point out that the full boost_all.zip is already
>2 MB
> >compressed (500 KB of which are JPEGs of developers) and the Info-
ZIP
> >stuff adds another 200 KB compressed.
> >
> >Compare that to the full Linux 2.0.30 kernel, which is only 6 MB.

As much as I enjoy them, it sounds like the developer pictures should
be eliminated.

> So what's the solution? We really don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Well, I hate to change my mind on this issue, but while looking at
the zlib page I realized there are binary libraries available for
windows and other platforms. Thus since we were already headed to
the idea of reusing it without modification, I am thinking we
shouldn't bundle source since binaries/sources are so readily
available. As was pointed out earlier it is also trivial to build.

> For the compression section, there would be one additional link
(with
> explanation of why) that downloads the zlib distribution from their
ftp
> site.

Yep. Makes sense.

> Presumably part of the formal review for any library that depends
on a
> non-Boost library would include pros and cons of the dependency.
Thus
> there is a protection against a detrimental dependency on a non-
boost
> library, but a mechanism to avoid reinventing the wheel if linking
> another library really is the smart thing to do.

Makes sense to me. It is clearly a judgment which needs to be
evaluated on a case by case basis. Perhaps the policy should be
updated to say something like: Use of external libraries is generally
discouraged. However, given compatible licensing policies, broad
availability, and demonstration of needless reinvention of stable
code exceptions can be made.

Jeff